Red Leigh Cooper

Red Leigh Cooper

Saturday, February 4, 2012

It matters what's on the outside?

      If you look good you feel good.  I've heard it many times.  I have even attended a seminar all about how to dress for the message, or feeling, you want to convey.  Feeling a little under the weather?  A nice salmon color will make you look like the picture of health apparently...

      My friend Crickette has a huge shoe collection.  I'm not talking the normal woman penchant for shoes...this is a fairly monumental gathering of footwear!  Her collection so much a reflection of who she is that her Facebook page photo is usually a new shoe added to the fold.  She loves her shoes.  Now, Crickette takes a lot of razzing from her friends about her passion, but I am starting to think I understand.  I am also starting to wonder, after attending aforementioned seminar, and knowing what a great dresser she is all around, if she was trying to convey a greater air of happiness than we experienced at a company we both worked at...but I digress...

      I have often said that due to being in a band with guys for so long, being a dog trainer, and working at companies with a relaxed dress code, I have forgotten how to dress.  Jeans, T-Shirt, sneakers.  There you go.  At one time in my life, I was quite the fashion plate.  Now don't get me wrong, in my circles Jeans, T-Shirt, and sneakers can be very fashionable if paired well, but I haven't even been able to do that as of late.  I have realized it has had absolutely nothing to do with being in a band with guys for so long, being a dog trainer, and working at companies with a relaxed dress code.  Looking back I can see a direct correlation to losing my fashion sense and killing off "Red" (see "What Doesn't Kill You..."  - January 29th, 2012).

      If there is going to be a resurrection, the outside will have to reflect the inside...

      My friend Jerol has actually been encouraging my need to accessorize for over a year now.  The emergence from the ashes of "Red" probably started with her and I didn't even know it.  As a teenager, and well into my band years, I was flashy and numerous necklaces, bracelets, and earrings head to toe.  I just didn't have that energy anymore given the circumstances and I definitely didn't want anything to remind me of who I am/was.  So I started small, buying one or two new necklaces and earring combos...

      However, this is my latest addition...



     Look at all the hearts and shininess!  I love hearts and shininess!  Big, long, necklaces full of clunky, heart-y, shininess...

     Quickly, my purchases have turned to shoes.  First boots and now my latest coup!





     More than representative of "Red" don't you think?  There were also a few more pairs in between the boots and these, but you get the idea.


     I'm actually going to stores and trying things on and looking at latest trends to funky vintage items.  I just ordered three pairs of skinny jeans...

     ...and people are starting to notice...

     I went to a Leadership retreat last weekend.  I sat alone at a table in the back.  Might I add at this time that even with an extroverted personality, I sit in the back typically, so this is not a new thing.  I as reading over the agenda for the day, when I heard, "mind if I sit here?"  There stood this person...this gloriously pierced and tattooed person wanting to sit with someone that maybe he felt may be like minded or a good personality match at least.  Okay; maybe he was just a really cool person not wanting anyone to sit alone, but this event was among many other compliments I received during the day from "nice outfit" to "I love your eye makeup" (I am wearing more shimmery shadows these days!).
 
     If you look good you feel good...if I look more like me, do I feel more like me?  You bet...often times the outside is a direct representative of the inside and I am coming to find that premise quite liberating. I also always here the phrase "it matters what's on the inside."  Well, maybe, in this sense, it matters what's on the outside just as much.  I am in no way saying be a "fashionista."  I am also not saying wear things just to be popular or appeal to a certain group of people. What I am saying is wear what makes you happy and is the best representation of who you are.   You may find an extra spring in your step you weren't anticipating.

     In the 1980's John Hughes film "Pretty In Pink" the films main character, Andie, is known for her unique fashion sense.  She overcomes the obstacles life has thrown her way and shops at thrift stores, sometimes sewing her own clothes, just to show her true personality.  Her friend Duckie says, "This is a really volcanic ensemble you're wearing, it's really marvelous.."  I realize every time I watch that movie that I once had that same pair of pants...

     ...You go on and buy as many shoes as you want, Crickette...I for one am not judging...they fit your personality wonderfully!


Happy Fishing!

--Red

  



2 comments:

  1. We may actually be the same person, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're probably twins separated at birh and no one wanted us to know! ; )

    ReplyDelete