Red Leigh Cooper

Red Leigh Cooper

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Put One Foot In Front of The Other

    So when I wasn't reading Shakespeare, I was watching Christmas Rankin and Bass animated specials.  This blog's title particular reference comes from "Santa Claus is Coming To Town."  For those of you unfamiliar, watch here before reading http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jeh4mA5us&feature=related.  

     I'm reminded of this song as I try to start on the things I should be doing in the spirit of "grabbing the starfish."  It's been a bumpy road.  I'm still recovering from the back issues I had back in July, and some nights it's hard enough to get out of a chair, much less write in a blog, sing, etc.

  Sometimes I get sidelined by all the "have to's" in life.  When I talk about sidelined, I mean that in a very huge way.  I would say, without a Doctor's opinion, you  know, other than Dr. Drew and what I see in my millions of hours of reality T.V. watching, that I am a bit Obsessive Compulsive.  Not to the point where I can't get out of the house for two hours because of all the rituals I have to perform or anything, but there are definitely parts of my personality that point in this direction.

  There are piles of "stuff" all over my house.  Small piles, but piles nonetheless.  Things I need to go through, file, possible throw away. These piles are not always visible.  They aren't just on top of the stereo or table, but they exist in the filing cabinet, in the closet, and in the guest bedroom.  In my head somehow these piles carry a sense of urgency.  The sense they need to be dealt with before I can think that I have free time to pursue the things I really should be doing with my life.

   Yet the piles are still there....

   That's what made me think of the song.  This view of my very small little world may have made me sit longer in the chair than I actually needed to heal my back.  It's all very overwhelming.  All the things I've let go undone.  So, then additionally when I'm overwhelmed I have the tendency to do...well...nothing.  I have to stop looking at the piles as it all has to be done right now in one fell swoop.  I need to stop thinking of "grabbing the starfish" and something that happens right away all at once, with no regards for the steps that need to come before...

    Hhhhmmm...the steps... 

"Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don’t be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand"


     The blog is noticably shorter. I'll also be signing up for some voice lessons soon.  No need to overwhelm myself...just need to start something....

     They may be small steps, but at least I am walking.  Now which pile do I go through first...

Happy Fishing!

--Red

No comments:

Post a Comment