Red Leigh Cooper

Red Leigh Cooper

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Stopped "Dead" in My tracks

     I've been busy putting one foot in front of the other.  You should see the mounds of miscellaneous stuff I got rid of from the piles I talked about last time.  However, recently I have stopped right in the middle of the path and can't seem to get any forward momentum.  I am standing on the shore and looking for the sharks in the water again.

     I attended a session with a life coach back in April.  She said that one of the ways to find out what you are supposed to be doing with your life is to review what other people constantly ask you to do.  I was sharing this with a group of people, when my friend, Beth says, "But what if I don't want to be a caretaker?"   Good point.  The people around her were seeing a special quality in her that were leading them to ask her to do something she wasn't particularly passionate about.  I think there are situations in our lives that just because we can do something doesn't mean we necessarily should do it.  That's interesting thought...

     I watch X-Factor.  Mostly because I am a singer.  Secondly because I almost tried out this year.  I knew my vocals weren't strong enough, and frankly, neither was my back, so I decided to skip this year.  The talent is monsterous.  Big, big voices. Chistina Aguilara, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston voices.  Good thing I stayed home.  I'm not saying I'm not talented.  I'm saying I'm not talented that way.  I have a very unique voice and style and that is definitely not it. These contestants also have a tireless passion for their singing that frankly makes me want to take a nap.  There's that word again: "passion."

     I have a feeling my friend Beth also likes to induldge in a bit of reality TV, like I do.  Recently she was talking about the "passion" of the people participating in Project Runway, wishing she too could have that kind of passion about somthing.  So, here we are, back to what may be the core ingredient for "star-fishing."  I can't help but wonder if this is why I have been stopped "dead" in my tracks?  Am I lacking the drive necessary to continue?  How do you muster passion when at the end of the day, when all you may want to do is crash (a thought I must attribute to my friend, Dianne)?

    Awhile back I talked about the ability to say "No" to things.  It's alot about knowing who you are and what you've said "yes" in your life to.  Isn't it though maybe just as much about who you aren't?  I'm a singer, but I honestly do not have a big X-Factor voice.  Beth may be a caretaker, but not in the way that people are asking her to be.  Just because we can doesn't mean we necessarily should, but it may lead us to understand, if we think about it awhile, what we should be doing.  I think once we know that, finding that will to keep going will be the easy part.

    Before going deep sea fishing, it would help to be a good swimmer.  Be sure of who you are, who you aren't, and that you'll have the "life vest" to keep you afloat.

Happy Fishing!

--Red

No comments:

Post a Comment